Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The slow and steady


This past month and a half has been one of waiting. It's been the rumble of thunderstorms, the quiet of novels, the basking in always having enough time for one more episode of Law and Order. It's been the working towards new career paths and the pursuit of healthy friendships and the reunion of family.

But it's also been the teen angst of a long-distance relationship, Stephen staying behind in Australia while I flew to Georgia. I have become more thankful than ever for technology and mail, but I am also certain that I will never again take for granted the luxury of being together. There have been days of overwhelming frustration, of impatience that will not cease. And there have been days of gratefulness, of eagerness for our upcoming reunion, of seeing how beneficial separation can be for the heart.

I've been ready to see Stephen since I glanced back from the departure gate in Australia, and while some might say my expectations are too high, I know they're just right.

Tonight, I will see him, face-to-face, at baggage claim. And the waiting will be over and the next adventure will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment