Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Stuff I've read




June was another month for two books, though both of these drew me away from my run of French literature.

I started with The Light Between the Oceans, a novel by M.L. Stedman, which is a beautifully crafted story of a husband and wife who find an infant and decide to keep her, only to later discover that her biological mother is alive. It's set in Australia and depicts perfectly the landscapes and personalities, giving the reader simultaneously both a glimpse of life in Oz and a lesson about honesty and vulnerability. It's one of those books where you find yourself frustrated with the decisions of the protagonists while also weeping with them. Which, in my opinion, is the best kind of book. It demands to be experienced, rather than simply read.

In true "summer reading" form, the month's second book was a bit lighter, going down with less thought and concentration, like a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream. I read it quickly, as if taking giant bites before it could melt across my fingers, each bite better than the last, and when I had reached the end, I wanted a little bit more. One of Our Thursdays is Missing, by Jasper Fforde, takes place in the alternate universe of "book world," where written characters are employed to tell stories as they are read. It's an incredibly clever, witty book - albeit almost impossible to explain without sounding ridiculous - that chronicles that adventures of the written Thursday Next as she searches for the real Thursday Next, whose disappearance could be devastating for the book world. The author takes the use of common literary tropes to the next level and creates a story that is both exciting and familiar.

After a year of hectic schedules and full-time work, the idea of free time in abundance is almost laughable. I struggle to see the purpose in being still and alone and am often struck with the desire to have more to do. I am in an almost constant state of reminding myself that this summer vacation is such a treat, a season that will be over all too quickly, and so I'm grateful for this reading time. As I put down these two books and step into more literature, I'm reminded that our stories are built heavily on the experiences of others, and I am quite privileged to have the opportunity to soak in so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment