Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A kickstarter project






 One of the most intriguing things about blogging is the community behind it. Blogs have a way of attracting like-minded people and introducing you to men and women with similar voices and vision who you might not have ever met otherwise.

My audience is pretty small. Miniscule, some would way. But either way, it has brought me a lot of joy and connected me with people with whom I would have never crossed paths on my own. Like Shayla, a 20-something graphic designer who's launched her own kickstarter project. Shayla's blog is an elegant glimpse into her life, and it's one that I frequent, looking for photography and design inspiration (because mine leaves something to be desired, but I'm trying!). So when she wrote about her idea to sell "minimal, stylized portraits of iconic musicians," I knew it was something I wanted to back.

Shayla is an incredible artist with a unique awareness of both how art can take shape and how that shape can influence prospective audiences. Guys, this is a really cool project. Shayla's chosen five musicians to create portraits of (Morrissey is my personal favorite, but they're all remarkable) and is hoping to manufacture and distribute them - which is awesome.

As a blogger hoping to pursue freelance writing, and having little to no opportunity, I know how daunting the idea of a kickstarter can be. There are doubts and what-ifs and anxieties, most of which stem from the reality that it can be incredibly difficult to market oneself well enough. But then I see people like Shayla who are working to make their pursuits sustainable and it is so encouraging.

Take a minute to check out both her blog and her kickstarter page to learn more about what she's doing and how you can help! Share her project on whatever social media platforms you prefer and if you're able, be a little generous with your finances - donations receive gifts from the artist, depending on the amount, plus you'll have gotten to play a small part in a big dream.

1 comment:

  1. i cannot thank you enough for this grace!! such sweet words and it means so much to me :)

    ReplyDelete