Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dressember 2014


One of the best things about interning and volunteering for IJM Australia has been getting to witness people in my community and around the world investing their time and making a difference. There's something really good about seeing people, young and old, having passion for something significant.

Over the next few months, IJM Australia is being supported by and partnering with other organisations through different campaigns and fundraisers, and there's one in particular that I'm getting ready for.

Dressember: A movement of women (or men, if they so choose) wearing dresses every day for the month of December in an effort to raise awareness of the exploitation, trafficking, and oppression of women around the world, in an effort to restore dignity to women worldwide, in an effort to construct a more positive view of femininity, and in an effort to raise enough money to see the violent oppression of women end.

I'm really passionate about freedom and equality for all women, but I'm equally passionate about helping our cultures recognise that being feminine does not make women (or men, for that matter) weak. That's why I'm so amped for Dressember; it's a fundraiser that takes two of my favorite things (the fight against the global mistreatment of women + dresses) and makes it clear that these two things - which our culture often suggests cannot coexist - are, truly, in support of each other.

It's pretty simple - we wear dresses, and our friends, families, and communities sponsor our efforts. 100% of the money raised will go to IJM Australia (or the IJM office in whichever country a participant is living) to fight against exploitation and violent oppression of women.

I've decided to participate in Dressember this year, and I'm excited to see how this experience shapes me, how it increases my awarness of the women for whom I'm advocating, how it changes my perception of beauty and strength, and how it influences the people around me.

This year, IJM Australia is asking 50 girls and women to join us for the Dressember challenge. To learn more about the vision and set up your own campaign page, visit the Dressember website. If you'd like to donate to my campaign, you can find it here. Once December rolls around, I'll be blogging through the whole thing.

Learn more. Ask questions. Be part of the conversation.

I'd love for you to join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment